Monday 25 July 2016

Do You Remember?

I get asked this question a lot. When I answer no, it is often met with an eyeball or a sigh or an exclamation of disbelief. Sometimes I lie, but that can always be a dangerous move, especially if you are caught out later!

I don’t quite know why I am so bad at remembering things. I’ve always loved a good to-do list, and my calendar is my godsend. But a lot of other people are the same. So what makes me any different?


It’s gotten to the stage where I can’t remember a conversation that happened a few days ago, or what i need to buy at the supermarket. I forget about books I’ve read and am meant to be reviewing, or places I’ve been to. I forget what I ordered last time, and for someone that likes to always try new things, this is devastating news. I also (ironically enough) always forget about blog posts I have previously scheduled, including my Safe Space ones! It is also quite disconcerting when people remember stuff about you that you have no recollection of doing or telling them. 

As many of my friends will know, I also have issues with always being sleepy. I don’t know if this is linked, and its something I’m in the process of finding out! But either way, I need to learn how to deal with my scatter brains. I’m trying my best to adapt to it. Here are some of the things that help me out:

  • LISTS. I already mentioned that I love a list. Except now I have a list for everything. I have made spreadsheets for books I’ve received and want to read, places I’ve been to and want to visit, future events and money I’ve spent. I keep a personal to do list. I also keep one at work, crossing things as I go, scheduling things in for the week to come. At the end of each working day I go through the list from today and reschedule anything I haven’t done for tomorrow or subsequent days. You might think I can look at the previous day, but then things get missed and it causes stress. 
  • REMINDERS. I don’t use these as much as I should. I tend to dismiss them on my phone because the notification irritates me, rather than using it to actually do the thing. Also the reminder always comes when I am busy, but I then subsequently forgot about what I'm meant to have done!
  • BLOG POSTS. Not only do they serve as a good memory of a great time or a favourite book, they are also a reminder of where I’ve been. Me and my friend Stacey use the Swarm app to check into places, and its been really helpful in figuring out whether I’ve already visited somewhere. 
  • GREAT FRIENDS. Quite possibly the most important point. My friends are really understanding when I am constantly asking them for reminders of times and meeting places. It also means I quite often repeat myself, as I can’t remember conversations easily. 

I don't really know what lies ahead. My mum is quite forgetful, and I always use to laugh at her as a kid but maybe it is hereditary. Quite possibly when I get my sleep issue sorted out (more on that another time!), I’ll get better at remembering things. For now, I'm just trying my best to stay organised in my own quirky little way! I'd love to hear your organisation tips. 

 photo safe space bio_zps8jlgrcn3.png

0 comments:

Post a Comment

No judgment, no hate, because it is already tough enough being a girl.